Mary Sorrows Hughes, Shreveport Artist
Honors and Accomplishments:
- Southwestern Watercolor Society Edgar A. Whitney $1000 Award, First Prize, for transparent watercolor, 29th Annual Exhibition, 1992, Dallas Visual Arts Center, Dallas, TX.
- Hoover Watercolor Society 43rd Annual Juried Exhibition 2000, Transparent Watercolor Award, 2003 Transparent Watercolor Award, small painting juried show.
- Hoover Watercolor Society 49th Annual Juried Exhibition 2006, Jurors Choice Award, Sidney Hoover Memorial Award 2009, and HWS Special Award, 2010.
- Louisiana Watercolor Society International Show 2005, President's Award.
- Ansel Merchandise Award, Southwestern Watercolor Society 36th Annual Exhibition, 1999, North Park, Dallas,TX, and Canson-Talons, Inc. Award, 37th Annual Exhibition, 2000, and the St. Cuthbert's Mill Award, 46th Annual Exhibition, 2009.
- Gary, Field, Landry, & Bradford Award, Seventh Exhibition of Louisiana Women Artists (1994) judged by Janet Fish, Louisiana State Archives, Baton Rouge, LA. Also juried into the Eighth Exhibition of Louisiana Women artists, (1996).
- Received the Yarka St. Petersburg Merchandise Award in 1995, and the Burgess Purchase Prize Award in 1998 in Watercolor West Juried Shows. (Watercolor West is a transparent Watercolor Society in California.)
- Work included in the permanent collection of Southwestern Electric Power Company based in Shreveport, LA.
- Awarded Signature Membership in 1991 in Southwestern Watercolor Society after being juried into five of their national exhibitions.
- Awarded Signature Membership in 1996 in Watercolor West after being juried into three of their national exhibitions.
- Awarded Signature Membership in 2004 in Louisiana Watercolor Society after being juried into three of their national exhibitions.
- Painting included in Best of Watercolor published in 1995 by Rockport Publishers, Inc., Rockport, Mass. 250 paintings chosen from 5000 submitted. Also paintings in Best of Watercolor:Painting Color, 1998, Floral Inspirations, 1998, Rockport Publishers, Splash 7: The Qualities of Light, April 2002, and The New Creative Artist by Nita Leland, 2006.
- 2001, Juror's Choice, Hoover Watercolor Society Small Paintings 2001
- Featured in the Fall 2003 issue of Watercolor Magazine, a publication of American Artist Magazine.
- Chosen for Highway Haiku 2002-2003. 1 of 10 artists, each of whos work occupies a whole city billboard, a Shreveport Regional Arts Council program.
- Featured Artist, 2003 for Philadelphia House AIDS fundraiser.
- Part of the Louise Finke Watercolor Exhibition, August 14th through September 3rd, Covington, LA.
- Artwork on the cover of Country Roads Magazine, July 2009.
Graduate of Centenary College, Shreveport, LA, with a B.A. in Art.
Art Studio: 712 College Street, Shreveport, LA, 71104 — Phone: 318-681-1045
Go back to my HOME PAGE